Patient-Centered Medical Homes (PCMH)
A patient-centered medical home (PCMH) is a way to care for patients so they feel “at home” with their care. PCMH changes the emphasis from quantity to quality, and fosters a care environment based on information sharing among chosen clinicians.
- PCMH does not require provider elections or assignments
- The physician generally seen for primary care becomes the patient’s medical information coordinator and advocate
- Patients remain free to see other providers based on scheduling reasons or reasons of preference
- The relationship between patient and primary care physician is strengthened
- Providers are compensated for the extra effort required to deliver coordinated care
- THN is comprised of hundreds of physician practices designated as PCMH that act as a patient’s first point of contact.